The Museo Civico Archeologico of Tolentino, instituted in 1882 with communal order of 30 september, is the first borned in the Marche district.
It is dedicated to his founder the Earl Aristide Gentiloni Silverj (1844 – 1936), regal Inspector of the Diggings and Monuments for the Macerata province from 1880, that, justly inserted in the marchigiano’s cultural background of eight hundred, was gotten passionate studious of archeaology and history and was director of the Museum from the year of foundation to 1936.
The initial availability of the searcher, to which the museum is entlited, to donate the archaeological materials coming from diggings himself carried out from 1879 to 1882 and from his private collection, was the base of foundation  of the public structure.
From endured financed with ministerial and municipal  deep, in the successive years it was increased with materials fruit of further diggings on the territory carried out from the Gentiloni, the systematic collection of the already existing materials and from donations from part of private.
The material, for the great part coming from approximately 100 tomb equipments, was endured ordered scrupulously and supplied of scientific digging diaries and inventories. Materials from Tolentino were sended in 1914 to the Exposure of Marchigiana’s archeaology to Milan and others have increased the Archaeological Museum of the Marche in Ancona: There it is conserved from 1911 the precious pebble figured with feminine figure and head of herbivore uncovered to Tolentino in 1884, except testimony to report to the advanced Palaeolithic.
After a period of closing from 1926 to 1938, the structure, as a result of several vicissitudes, has been reopened to the public in 1974.
The Museo Civico Archeologico “Aristide Gentiloni Silverj” today ia arranged in the wing north of the castle of the La Rancia.


applique picena

 


skyphos

The conserved materials, archaeological testimony directily pertinent to the most ancient history of the city and to its territory, come for the great part, from the context of nineteenth-century digging and from isolated recoveries of the Council.
Between the material presents is to notice the Amigdala of red flint datable to the inferior palaeolithic, the series of tips of arrow of Neolithics and the “Eneolitihics” and the 16 smoothed stone axes.
From the Necropolis excaveted from 1879 to 1884 and all situated in the years to outside of the current historical center come the more meaningful objects for the history of ancient site, attributable to the Picena civilization, bloomed during the age of the iron from the IX to the III century b.C. in the zone comprised between the rivers Foglia and Pescara and the Appennine section.
The “Rotondo Necropolis”has given back the equipment of VIII century b.C. with fibula to leech, rivet and fibula with nucleus of amber; interesting the equipments of the five graves of the “Bura Necropolis” with stone circles dated to the VII century b.C. between wich fibula to dragon with antennas, pendants and vases of paste; from the Necropoli horse of iron ; from the “S.Egidio Necropolis” equipment of VI – IV century with products of Etruscan import, between which the stamnos of grave 8.
Remarkable also the equipment of the grave said  Door of the Bridge” with bronze Etruscan crockery and a series of handles figured with gentlmen of the horse of local production.
Beautiful the attiche “attiche” ceramics coming from the Settledori Necropolis,  to black figures (graves 31 – 40) to red figures (grave 22) the crater to “colonnette” and the Kylix to report to the school of the painter of Pentesilea, fibulas and various ornaments.
Between the sporadic materials from the territory numerous fubulas to leech and pendants of Piceno Type, crockery and bronze crews, a bronze of Ercole with club, a Greek amphora to black figure (Painter near to the group of Leagros of end VI century b.C., one skyphos Greek to black figures and two Etruscan mirrors dated to the 300 b.C.
For the Roman period numerous oil lamp, weights, a “ermetta” in marble, the great marmorea statue of Flavia age, refer to Julia daughter of Tito, recovered  in the 1508 in S.Egidio district and a plow of Flavia age with “bucrani” and “encarpo” of leaves flowers and fruits. The lapidarium, rich collection of Latin epigraph  belongs to the Civic Museum, for the great part of the I century a.C. that they constitute important testimony of the Roman period of the city.
To these they add some of late-ancient and medioeval age, always from the district of the Common one, between which the relative registration construction of the "Ponte del Diavolo" of the 1268 and a Etruscan stock with registration.

 

OPEN TIMETABLE

Monday closed

TUE - SUN

10.00 - 12.30

15.00 - 18.30

for informations: tel. 0733.973349

           

Museo Civico Archeologico
Castello della Rancia - 62029 TOLENTINO (MC)
Tel. 0733.973349

          

Created by SPAZIONET